Monday, June 24, 2002


Minority Report was dope. I'm one of those lazy piles that always wants to go to the closest theater, but luckily the wife talked me into trekking into Waikiki to see it on the fat 60 foot screen. I walked out of that movie tripping out, very cool vision of the future. In fact, I was thinking to myself as we dined at Perry's Smorgy restuarant, that it was the best science fiction flick since Blade Runner. I was also amazed that both movies were based on stories by Philip K. Dick, dare I say it the Salvador Dali of literature. I honestly couldn't think of any sf movies since Blade Runner that held a candle, then my wife mentioned Total Recall. Oh yeah Total Recall was pretty damn good, so I threw that in there too. Lo and behold sitting on the throne reading the new Time magazine that night I discover that Total Recall was based on a Philip K. Dick story too. Trippy. The guy got almost nil respect during his lifetime, keeled over at 53, and now he's the hottest literary film source since Stephen King and that Lawyer guy that wrote the firm who's name escapes me right now.

Now I never read the stories that spawned Total Recall or Minority Report, but I did read "When Androids dream of Electric Sheep" which was the basis for Blade Runner. And I use "basis" liberally. I mean the story is almost nothing like the movie, except there's a bounty hunter tracking down replicants. Everything else is different practically. Damn cool story though, but I thought a better movie. I mean I really like that movie. Edward James Olmos was bad ass as Harrison Ford's partner with the origami thing going on.

So I don't know what my point was in all this but Minority Report was badass. Go see it. and don't read any reviews first, go in fresh. So top sci-fi movies (and I heard you're not supposed to say sci-fi but whatever) since 1983 or whatever when Blade Runner came out: Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report. I'm one of the five people that appartently actually liked the new Star Wars movies, but they're not in that league, no way.

PS beautiful weather in the islands this weekend. Cool thing about the movies in Waikiki: you can walk out of the movie, go to your car and get towels and swimsuits, walk to the beach, chill out and read, float around in the ocean, gaze at Diamond Head, catch rays, and enjoy people-watching the tourists. Good times.

Anyway I'll probably check in later this afternoon and talk about something else besides movies so you don't confuse me with Roger Ebert.

peace