Monday, July 08, 2002


Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

I actually got my frikken wallet back! I'm still in shock. The wife and I were ON OUR WAY to get our new licenses during my lunch break when my boss calls me from the office saying Aloha airlines called and they've got my wallet. So we headed straight to the airport, and sure enough, there it was, with the money still in it, no less. An airline employee had found it and turned it in.

I don't think I've got any Irish in me, but I'm one lucky sumbitch.

Caught A Time To Kill on CBS last night. I'd seen it before, but it really impressed me more this time. Maybe it was because the first time I watched it, it was shortly after I'd read the book. Nothing ruins a movie better than if you've read the book within the previous 6 months. You just catch yourself comparing it through the whole movie, and waiting for certain scenes, and I always get disappointed that actors they cast don't match how I pictured them in the book.

There was a time maybe like ten years ago where I was reading John Grisham nonstop. I remember when I read The Firm, I was stuck to it for like 3 days until it was done. I was telling my buddies I couldn't go out for beers, thats how much I was into it. Couldn't put it down. The Tom Cruise movie was alright, but they tweaked the ending quite a bit from the book. After that I read Pelican Brief, which was pretty cool too, but the problem was Grisham was basically using the same formula: a super-top secret discovered by naive young lawyer or law student, huge chase ensues, wherein all tracks have to be covered because powerful people with ears everywhere are on the main character's trail. Once again, big budget movie with Julia Roberts & Denzel Washington, which was, I guess, OK.

A Time to Kill was actually Grisham's first book, but I think it was put out by a major publisher after the Firm hit really big. In this one, he went a different direction, no chase just a damn engaging story, unafraid to hit a lot of racial and societal hot buttons, and some good courtroom drama. If you haven't read it or seen the movie, it's about this black guy (Samuel L. Jackson) who shoots these two white rednecks that beat and raped his 10 year old daughter. He blows them away right there in a courtroom lobby, so there's this huge trial with crazy KKK guys and incensed black people all rioting outside the court.

The thing that really hit me about this movie was, damn, did you know how many big time stars are in this thing? Matthew Mconaughey, Sandra Bullock, Keifer & Donald Sutherland, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, and Ashley Judd. And the wacky other people in this thing: The dad from That 70's show playing the KKK Grand Wizard, the guy from that old Fox show "Roc" (about the garbage man) as a cop, and the creepy corrupt psychiatrist from Silence of the Lambs as, yes, a creepy, corrupt psychiatrist. Just so many huge actors playing little parts, it was tripping me out. How cool is Donald Sutherland? That guy can say like two lines in a movie, but you'll remember him after you walk out more than half the other characters.

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but this movie impressed me the second time around. Mrs. Pennyworth went through a box of tissues, so it's got some heart-wrenching emotions for the ladies, as well as freaky red neck guys and gunshots and riots and Samuel L. Jackson screaming "I'm glad they're dead and I hope they burn in Hell!!" for the fellas. Overall, highly recommended.

Bumped the Bubba Sparxxx album earlier today. Solid work, but the jury's still out, this was like my 3rd listen. Phat Timbaland beats, good lyrics, but I don't know, I'm still not totally sold on this guy yet. Right now, bumping Cypress Hill's Skull & Bones, specifically the Skull disc. These guys, I'm quite sold on, the Hill mofo. Good Times. Good Times.

I still can't believe I actually got my wallet back. Going back to the airport the day after you had to travel is kind of a weird experience. When you're travelling, there's this anxiety, this craziness that kind of overtakes you, panicking about getting your luggage, your tickets, your spouse, your kid, whatever, all to wherever it is your going without getting blown up or anally probed or whatever. Standing there in the baggage claim area today waiting for my wallet, I felt so calm and half the people around me looked like they were going to have a nervous breakdown.

It was strangely comforting.