Monday, August 05, 2002


Chick Hearn died today.

Damn that sucks.

Chickie-baby was the king of the mic, the inventor of the words "slam-dunk" and "airball" and one of the major class acts of sports and the broadcast industry. Laker games will never be the same. Who's gonna put em in the refrigerator the way Chick did?

As someone who grew up in the LA area, Chick's voice is prevalent in so many memories. The OG master of the simulcast, he was on the radio and the TV. The real Angelino's would bump Chick on the radio when the Laker games were on NBC and turn down the TV volume so they didn't have to hear Bill Walton and the joker gang desecrate the Laker experience. Every time I picture Magic or Kareem busting a move to the net, making a sweet dish, a killer skyhook, whatevahs, I hear Chick's voice in my head.

I don't know what else to say. I'm bummed. Rest in Peace.