Wednesday, October 23, 2002


I was watching cnn/headline news on the ol' tellie this am, and they were talking about the sniper. One thing that struck me was, they suspect that possible witnesses are not coming forward because they may not be legal citizens (as in illegal aliens). The police chief guy was on the news saying something to the effect of, "we want to emphasize that we are not concerned with that, and we really need people to come forward and help with the investigation."

However: I never heard the guy say, "We will not fuck with you, and/or detain you, due to your legal status, if you come forward and help us out." If I was an illegal alien, and I had witnessed something regarding a case with the HIGHEST media coverage possible, I have to admit I would be pretty damn hesitant to come forward unless I felt assured that I would be able to say my piece, help out the authorities, and then go on my merry way. The government has to EXPLICITY tell the country that if you are an illegal and a witness in this case, you will not be hassled due to your status. Especially in light of the language barrier more common to illegal immigrants and their natural (due to their circumstances) paranoia of law enforcement. I feel this is CRITICAL in this case, as the cops need any little clue that may be out there, from any source. And if this has been said by the authorities, and I didn't see it in the soundbites, then it's the media's responsibility to make sure it GETS in the soundbites, as that is what these people are most likely to see.

Rusty Trumpet has come up with a very original theory behind the motivation of the sniper. It's based on the idea that all serial killers are sexually motivated, and that the sniper is no different, even in light of his impersonal and random pattern. Check it out here. At first you might laugh, but then you'll think, "Shit, that makes a lot of sense…"