Wednesday, July 20, 2005




Howdy. Shit. I’m bummed about mr. Aparo. He was, how do you say, the man? His style wasn’t flashy or nothin’, but nobody prototypified batman for me as youngsta, a teen, a college pile, and an old fart, more than he did. When I see the comic version of batman in my mind it’s the aparo version. Brave & the bold, batman & the outsiders, the man would go anywhere & draw batman in any book and every one had the same quality and attention to detail that kept him in the biz for 30 some odd years. Not that he just drew batman, far from it, but fa sho, that was what he was most famous for, and what I knew him best for. He was one of those artists who you looked forward to his interpretation of other heroes when they would do guest shots, a select group for me that includes byrne, perez, mcfarlane, zeck, romita jr., shit, prolly a few others I can’t think of now. There was something so simple yet complex, so unassuming yet dignified, about the man’s pencils and inks. I can picture his commissioner Gordon, his joker, his robin, all those, spot on, the definition to a degree. Only neal adams and bob kane, and maybe frank miller had more of an impact on the visual appearance of batman, at least in this boy’s mind.

more on Jim Aparo